Monday, October 22, 2007

Duke iPods

Beginning in August 2004, Duke University started giving out 20 gig Apple iPods with Belkin Voice Recorders to incoming freshmen. They did this as a part of a university initiative to encourage creative uses of technology in education and campus life. The academic uses of the iPod were divided into five major categories:
1) Course content dissemination tool (Portable access to course content like lectures, songs, speeches, etc.)
2)Classroom recording tool (record lectures, discussions, etc.)
3)Field recording tool (record notes, interviews, etc.)
4) Study support tool
5) File storage and transfer
These academic uses proved to be very convenient for faculty and students. It also greatly reduced students' dependence on lab and library hours and locations. It also encouraged greater student involvment and interest in class discussions, labs, research, and projects.
I, personally, do not own an iPod and never have, so I do not really know all the tools or how to use them. Also, there is no telling how advanced the iPods will be by the time I become a teacher. Therefore, I have no idea how I will use the iPod in my classroom.

No comments: